Wednesday 30 August 2017

Annual Report 2015-2016: Cllr Nosheen Dad

It was an absolute privilege to have been elected to serve a community where I have lived, worked and played at the 2015 elections. I have had a very rewarding and enjoyable first year as a councillor for the Dewsbury South Ward and have put together a brief report of what my year has entailed thus far.
After being elected the first quarter of my year was spent attending welcome events and training sessions to ease me in to the role, make contacts and get set up.
Since getting settled in I have attended every Full Council Meeting since my election and have spoken in debates around the NHS and the cuts to mental health services. In addition to this I also sit on the following bodies:
  • Heavy Woollen Planning Committee
  • Dewsbury Area Committee 
I also ensure that I attend as many Labour Group meetings and branch meetings to keep myself and others up to date with changing policies and developments both locally and nationally.
A great deal of my time has been spent dealing with individual ward work and I have made myself available for as many ward surgeries as possible. These have been held at the Taleem Centre and Thornhill Lees Community Centre
With cuts to the council budget it is important that I listen to my constituents and help them protect the services they need and value.  
I am hoping to engage further with the community and will always make myself available to residents. I attend as many events as possible and hope that people will approach me with their views. I am always contactable via phone on 07540422755 and email on nosheen.dad@kirklees.gov.uk.
The knowledge and experience I have gained in my first year will enabled me to deal with a far greater range of issues to help individuals and community groups in my ward going forward.
I am particularly looking forward to my new role as Chair of the Dewsbury and Mirfield District Committee.