Wednesday 6 July 2016

Cllr Hilary Richards: Annual Report 2015-2016

2015-16 has been another busy year for me as many people have contacted me about their concerns which I always try to answer.  

I am delighted that the Friends of Golcar Library Group continues to flourish and elected me Chair for the current year.  The group now have over 20 people trained and supporting the single paid member of staff during opening hours.  Additionally this year the group now has an Events Organiser who takes responsibility for non-lending activities from coffee mornings to theatre presentations.

A Lego Club has started to meet.  These are the results of their first meeting.
During the year I have also
  • Supported local groups in Cowersley, Golcar and Longwood as well as the Colne Valley Business Network
  • Tenants and Residents associations in these areas,
  • The Golcar Lily Day committee and their Environment Group
  • I am looking forward to the re-opening of Colne Valley Museum after its Heritage Lottery funded
  • As well as giving help and support to residents,
  • I am delighted to have led the way in having a part of Milnsbridge’s Market Street parking extended to allow vehicles park for up to 3 hours.
One of the biggest challenges I am facing, along with most other councillors, is working within reduced budgets and with reductions in the levels of service the authority can provide due to these budget cuts.  This has led to cutting back on services and the need for common sense in making spending decisions rather than the pursuit of projects based on need not day dreams.

Kirklees Council: what I am involved in
  • I regularly attend Council Meetings and I am actively involved in:
  • Corporate and Governance Committee (Chair)
  • The Rural District Committee
  • The Licensing and Regulatory Panel
  • School Appeals Committee
  • Colne Valley Area Forum of Kirklees Federation of Tenants and Residents Associations and various Golcar Ward Tenants and Residents Association meetings
  • I also attend Labour Group meetings and annual updating and other training.
Participation on Outside Bodies
  • I am an active member of:
  • C & K Careers Ltd
  • Kirklees School of Music
  • Yorkshire Purchasing Organisation
  • West Yorkshire Pension Fund Advisory Group
  • West Yorkshire Combined Authority Corporate and Governance Committee (Chair)
Other interests:
  • Colne Valley Museum
  • Golcar Together
  • Golcar Lily Day
  • MEG (Milnsbridge Enhancement Group)
  • School governor St John's School in Golcar and Crow Lane School, Milnsbridge
I have also made several visits to Royds Hall High School which now caters for children of 5-16 years old.
This picture is of when the children officially started the building work for the infant’s school on the site.

 
I not hold regular surgeries as, throughout the whole of the time I did hold them, I had only one person come to see me. However I regularly attend coffee mornings, and can be contacted by telephone, email or Facebook and can arrange to meet you at suitable times.
 
How to contact me:
 
Telephone: 01484 652922
Twitter: @Hilary_Richards
Facebook: Cllr Hilary Richards